We just had a birthday party. Leftover glow sticks galore. “What on earth do we need all these glow sticks for?” I questioned myself. Have you ever had this dilemma? I seem to have it a lot.
I went in my craft room (aka my everything-I-can-stuff-in-here closet beneath the staircase) and started digging through my supplies. Three over-filled storage containers later, I found them. Googly eyes…markers…fuzzy fabric…
Have you ever had a light bulb moment? You know, the kind where you imagine a light bulb being turned on next to you? Ya, I had one of those, only it was a glow stick being cracked and shaken til it lit up. Halloween is right around the corner, and it gets dark pretty quickly…what if I made these into cute decorated pendants to keep track of my kids?!
Eyes. Lots of eyes…I knew I had to make monsters and aliens because it was just too perfect for the occasion. These monster/alien glowing pendants are so much fun year-round, but especially for nighttime events like trick-or-treating as a safety precaution. These would also make great crafts or party favors for monster or alien-themed parties.
My oldest son has trouble with his room being completely dark at night. I had made him one of these and, when he went to bed, he hung it up on his art easel. What a great idea! Why let the glow fade out during sleep when it can be used as a night light? Might as well get the most of out it! It’s a monster buddy that can scare all the “bad monsters” away. Yes, he went through the “monsters in my closet” stage and this got him through it.
What You Need
- Glow sticks with a loop for string
- Glue–strong glue like hot glue or even craft glue
- Craft fur or fuzzy material
- Googly eyes
- Thin ribbon or yarn
- Permanent marker
- Glitter , fake eyelashes, or any other craft supplies you want to add!
1. Because we will be gluing things to these glow sticks, your first step will be to activate them! I would recommend making these the day you plan to use them. Just crack and shake to activate the glow.
2. Cut a small piece of craft fur that will fit along the base of the stick and glue it on.
3. Glue on the eyeballs, as many as you want all over. Try one big one or a bunch of small ones. Get creative!
4. Draw on a silly face. Add a smile, eyelashes, maybe even a big nose.
5. If you used any glue besides hot glue, you will probably need to let the glue dry so you can hang the necklaces up somewhere during this time.
Bonus Tip: Use your imagination! We kept ours simple, but you can make your monster/alien fit your personality. Use a few colors of fur, add hair to the top, add beads to make silly ears, add a little glitter, whatever you like!
-Where will you wear your Glowing Monster/Alien Pendant? Share with me in the comments below!
Know someone who could use this? Hit the “share” buttons below! Be sure to follow Arts & Crackers on social media (buttons at the top right of the page.)
You May Also Like
- Blueberry Banana Parfait Recipe
- Southwestern Soup Sabroso Recipe (Vegan Options)
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa Recipe
- Spring to Summer Couscous Salad Recipe
- Dairy-Free Yogurt Waffles Recipe
- Clean and Green Cookbook Review