Lately, I have been trying to do more crafts with my son. Since he loves reading his books, we decided to make a cute bookworm bookmark using craft sticks. This craft is simple and fun to make. I hope your kids enjoy this project. Make it a parent-kid date. This is also a great way to get your kids reading more.
What You Need
- Wooden craft sticks (this can be leftover Popsicle sticks; I used jumbo sticks [affiliate link]] so the worms were wider)
- Crayons (you can also use markers, but I encourage you to try bright colors)
- Black marker
- School glue
- Googly eyes (affiliate link)
1. Gather supplies. If you are upcycling the stick from the snack, make sure you wash it well and let it dry first.
2. Using the crayons, color the stick. You can color the front and back. Encourage your child to color in patterns like alternating stripes of colors. This is a great way to teach your child about patterns and color schemes. Rub off any excess crayon from the wooden stick so you will not have color transfer to your book pages.
3. Decide which end will be the top where the face will go and draw a little smiley mouth lining the tip.
4. Glue on the googly eyes. Remember, a tiny dot of glue is sufficient.
5. Let the glue dry completely and make sure excess crayon is brushed off so it will not ruin your books.
6. Stick your bookworm inside the pages of your book to keep track of where you are reading and bookmark special pages! These make adorable handmade gifts for teachers, parents, and friends who love to read.
You May Also Like
- Fruit Roll Snake Snack and Wrapper Craft
- Coloring Sheet Wrapping Paper
- DIY Frog on a Lily Pad Pond Plate Craft
- Underwater Learning with Finding Nemo and Books, Plus Activities
- Learning with Mini Mailboxes | Reading and Math
- Top 5 Board Games to Make Using Household Items