We have been having some fun making crafts with paper plates. Our latest is a Pond Plate. We made one with a lily pad and frog, but this pond plate is versatile. Create the pond then decorate it as you wish with cattails, an alligator, fish, frogs and lily pads, whatever you wish!
This project is a really simple one and can be used to help teach what goes in a pond as well as word-color recognition and painting skills. It is a great project for spring and summer!
What You Need
- Paper plate
- Blue and green marker
- Blue and green paint (I used acrylic)
- Green construction paper
- Green pipe cleaner
- Green pompom
- Googly eyes (2)
- Pink pipe cleaner
- Glue (you can use school/craft glue, fabric glue, or hot glue)
- Fuzzy pompom/mini fabric flower
1. Draw a line down the center of the plate then label the top “green” with the green marker and the bottom “blue” with the blue marker.
2. Have your child paint green on the green half and blue on the blue half.
3. Cut out a lily pad from the green construction paper. You can do this if your child cannot use scissors yet or use it as a cutting exercise. Set it on the plate.
4. Twist a green pipe cleaner into a circle then crimp the circle to make little arms and legs (sort of an “h” shape.)
5. Add glue to the four corners pointing inwards and place the green pompom on top.
6. Glue on two googly eyes to the front of the frog.
7. Cut a small piece of pink pipe cleaner and curl it to make a tongue. Glue it into the frog’s mouth area. Let all the glue dry.
8. Fold the plate in half so it sits open at a right angle.
9. Glue a spiky pompom or a fabric flower onto the lily pad to make the water lily flower.
Bonus tip: As I mentioned earlier, you can do so much more with this pond than a frog with a lily pad. Try switching out the frog with paper cutouts of fish (like koi), rubber ducks, adding tall grass and cattails along the crease, or making a paper/popsicle stick boat to sit on top.
You May Also Like
- DIY GLOW-IN-THE-DARK Paper Plate Flying Saucer
- DIY Paper Plate Love Bug
- Glowing Monster/Alien Pendant
- A Rainbow of Ways to Teach Colors
- DIY Biplane-Inspired Cupcakes
- Bunny Rabbit String Cheese Wrappers
-What will be on your pond?
You'll Also Love These Posts!
This post may contain affiliate links and sponsored ads; using these links helps support my blog and my family. Money earned goes towards tithe, coffee to keep me sane, and then placed into savings towards our dream of buying a house and homesteading. Thank you for your support! Content from my site may not be copied, used or repurposed, and all rights belong to Arts & Crackers; however, if you are doing a roundup post, you may included one watermarked "finished product" image with a direct link back to the coordinating post (do not hotlink); I appreciate when notice is given to me ahead of time or specific permission requested. Have questions? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.