Chicken Nugget Cordon Bleu is the second family-friendly, kid-friendly recipe in my Chicken Nugget Gourmet Recipes series. This one was especially a hit with my husband, surprisingly. I am always seeking ways to get my family to eat healthy meals together, so I decided to put a fun chicken nugget spin on some classic entrees. Of course chicken nuggets are a lot of fun and super easy to serve, but many adults do not like them, myself included. These dishes are great-tasting and grown-up so adults can enjoy this meal with their children. I want kids to have fun eating what the rest of the family is eating because I believe it is important that everyone eats the same meal not only to save time and money, but also because it teaches kids to eat what they are served while maturing their palate and helping them to eat proper and healthy meals. This is a great go-to meal for summer when all the kids are home and you are needing to serve more family-friendly and kid-friendly meals.
You Will Need
- Chicken nuggets, cooked (I used store-bought for ease, but if you can make your own with cut-up, breaded chicken breast, I would recommend doing that as it is healthier)
- Pancetta or deli ham (Pancetta is a lot saltier; I preferred the ham, but my husband enjoyed the pancetta; our son enjoyed both)
- Provolone cheese (or Swiss cheese)
1. Bake the chicken nuggets. If you make homemade chicken nuggets, cook according to your homemade directions. I used pre-cooked frozen nuggets for ease. If your choose to use pre-cooked nuggets, cook them by the instructions for just under half the time it says (that’s usually around 5 minutes) to thaw and partially heat the nuggets.
2. Remove the nuggets from the oven and cool just until you can handle the nuggets without burning yourself. Using a sharp knife, cut a slice in the middle of the nugget (imagine cutting a hotdog bun or dinner roll.)
3. Push some pancetta/ham and provolone/Swiss cheese into the center of each. I used my fingers initially then pushed it in a little neater with the flat side of a butter knife. If desired, use a toothpick to hold each nugget shut.
4. Place the stuffed chicken nuggets back into the oven for the remaining cook time, about 6-7 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and serve as is or with a small slice of melted cheese or white sauce on top.
This Chicken Nugget Cordon Bleu provides protein in the chicken, grains in the breading, and dairy in the cheese. Chicken Nugget Cordon Bleu is one of my kid-friendly, family-friendly recipes in my Chicken Nugget Gourmet Recipes series. Watch for more chicken nugget recipes to come! Be sure to bookmark this recipe or print it! Come back and let me know how you liked it too!
Bonus tip: Serve with carrots or any green vegetable your child will eat. If you opt for the dinosaur nuggets, use this opportunity to teach your child about carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores. Have them eat the vegetables with the stegosaurus (a herbivore) then eat the nuggets with the tyrannosaurus rex (a carnivore.)
Know someone who could use this? Hit the “share” buttons below! Be sure to follow Arts & Crackers on social media (buttons at the top right of the page.)
-Do you like Chicken Cordon Bleu? What other dishes would you like to see using chicken nuggets?