Simple, healthy chicken soup for a chilly day.
- 10 cups water
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 carrots, cut into thirds
- 2 red potatoes, halved
- Base of celery stalk
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 red potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, coined
- 2 stalks celery, cubed
- 1-2 chicken breasts (reserved from stock)
- 1/2 cup barley
Make the broth:
- In a large pot, add water and chicken on medium heat and bring to a boil. The chicken boiling will cause a foamy film at the top–scoop this out as it cooks.
- Add in carrots, potatoes, celery stalk base, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the vegetables, chicken and bay leaves onto a plate.
Make the soup:
- Let the chicken cool some then shred it for the soup. Make sure as much of the foam is off the top of the broth as possible at this time.
- Add the soup vegetables, shredded chicken, and barley to the broth.
- Cook covered on medium, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until vegetable and barley textures are to your liking.
Don't waste the carrots, potatoes, and extra chicken breast leftover from making the stock; these make a great, flavorful snack or use the chicken on a sandwich! You can also blend up the vegetables into a gravy for hidden vegetable gravy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g
This nutrition information is auto-generated. Nutritional values may change with specific items and brands used, so manual calculation is recommended if exact nutritional counts are needed.