Chicken Nuggets ‘n Waffles is the third family-friendly, kid-friendly recipe in my Chicken Nugget Gourmet Recipes series.
Since we are currently living in the South, my husband has been wanting some chicken and waffles so I thought it would be a great idea as a chicken nugget recipe! My husband and son loved this dish and chicken nuggets are a lot healthier than fried chicken, and I found a way to make my homemade gravy healthy with hidden vegetables!
This dish may not be for everyone; honestly, I am not a fan of Chicken and Waffles myself, but this is a great option if you do and if your kids are like mine, they will love anything that involves chicken nuggets and waffles and the gravy is always a tasty recipe.
Of course chicken nuggets are a lot of fun and super easy to serve, but many adults do not like them, myself included. These dishes are great-tasting and grown-up so adults can enjoy meals like this one with their children.
I want kids to have fun eating what the rest of the family is eating because I believe it is important that everyone eats the same meal not only to save time and money, but also because it teaches kids to eat what they are served while maturing their palate and helping them to eat proper and healthy meals.
This is a great go-to meal for summer when all the kids are home and you are needing to serve more family-friendly and kid-friendly meals.
You Will Need
- Chicken nuggets, cooked (I used store-bought for ease, but if you can make your own with cut-up, breaded chicken breast, I would recommend doing that as it is healthier)
- Waffles (you can use frozen waffles, or make Belgian waffles like I did.)
- Chicken Broth, low sodium is great
- Rice, optional
- Cornstarch and water to thicken
1.Bake the chicken nuggets. If you make homemade chicken nuggets, cook according to your homemade directions. I used pre-cooked frozen nuggets for ease.
2. Cook the waffles. You can use frozen, homemade, or a box mix; I personally prefer homemade or a box mix of Belgian waffles.
3. Make the Hidden Veggie Gravy. In some water, steam 1/4 cup of diced carrots, 1/4 cup of diced celery, a few leaves of spinach, and about 3 Tablespoons of rice until tender (a few minutes.) Drain the water out. Add one can of chicken broth and blend until smooth either with an immersion blender or in a food processor. In a small saucepan, bring the mixture to a low boil. Slowly stir in your mixture of water and cornstarch to thicken the gravy.
Remember that your gravy will thicken a little more as it cools, so try not to over-thicken it.
4. Plate your food. First the waffle, then the chicken nuggets, then drizzle with that healthy gravy. Mmm mmm good.
This recipe provides your protein, grains, some starch, and vegetables! Chicken Nuggets ‘n Waffles with Homemade Gravy is one of my kid-friendly, family-friendly recipes in my Chicken Nugget Gourmet Recipes series.
Watch for more chicken nugget recipes to come!
Be sure to bookmark this recipe or print it! Come back and let me know how you liked it too!
Bonus tip: Have leftovers? Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. As I mentioned, the mixture thickens as it cools, so the chilled mixture will be very thick. To bring it back to the desired consistency, add a little bit of water and reheat!