Disclaimer: I participated in the Mom Blog Tour at the Summer Fancy Food Show on behalf of Wendy's Bloggers and received Kohler Original Recipe Chocolates to facilitate my review. All opinions and recipes are my own.
So, I received this giant gift box of chocolates. Yum! While I have eaten many and even shared, I still have a bunch left. I enjoy them just as they are, but I wondered if I could find a different way to eat them. I came up with several different recipe ideas, but I settled on one that was unique–Gingersnap Fruit and Pretzel Dip.
One of my first stops at the Fancy Food Show in NYC was to visit the Kohler Original Recipe Chocolates booth. That’s right. Chocolate. Mmmm. It’s okay; my mouth is watering too. While I was there, I was able to try out a handful of their delicious products and even met their master chocolatier! While I enjoyed the chocolates, the thing I found most exciting was that the company is based out of a city not far from where I grew up!
This gorgeous crunchy peanut butter candy was one of their newest products that I was able to try. It screamed my husband’s name. I will probably have to get him some.
At home, I received a variety box of their Holiday Caramels covered in chocolate. It came with four flavors: Gingersnap, Sea Salt, Golden, and Almond Green. I decided to make my recipe using the Gingersnap flavor, as it was not my favorite to eat by itself. Plus, gingersnap is the perfect flavor as the holiday season approaches.
If you are not a gingersnap fan, try making different dip flavors. Make a caramel dip by excluding the molasses and instead adding marshmallow fluff, leave the spices, use Golden or Sea Salt chocolates in place of Gingersnap, and drizzle on a little extra caramel. Try an Almond Green dip too!
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Kohler Original Recipe Chocolate Golden Caramel
- 1 Kohler Original Recipe Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel
1. Using a hand mixer, blend the cream cheese until it is soft and smooth. 2. Blend in the vanilla and molasses until combined. 3. Crush up the chocolates and mix in along with the spices. If you prefer not to have little chocolate chunks in your dip, you can try blending them first or melting the chocolate so it mixes in smoother. 4. Serve at room temperature with apples, pears, pretzels, cookies, or anything else you wish! Don’t forget to try different dip flavors using some of the other candy flavors! Kohler Original Recipe Chocolates is based out of Kohler, Wisconsin (Yay Wisconsin!) Yes, they are the same company who sells beautiful kitchen and bath fixtures and they even own The American Club Resort in Scotland (somewhere I would love to visit some day.)
I am sure you are asking, just as I did, how on earth did they get into the chocolate industry?? It’s actually a really fun story! Their CEO and chairman, Herb Kohler, decided one day that he wanted a better turtle candy. You know, those delicious candies with chocolate, caramel, and nuts. He didn’t just want a better turtle; he wanted the best. He challenged the chefs at The American Club Resort to create the best recipe. After about 100 different recipes, Mr. Kohler found a terrapin he loved. Today, Kohler Original Recipe Chocolates’ terrapins are one of their best sellers, and they stirred up a whole new venture in chocolatiering.
Have you ever had a candy turtle/terrapin? Growing up back in Wisconsin, we loved them. They were one of my grandpa’s favorites, so I remember getting them as treats. Turtle ice cream day at the custard shop was the best! I think I might need some right now…
The chocolates I received would make great holiday treats, perhaps at a party. They also make a great gift! You receive them in a sturdy gift box with a hand-tied bow. The gift box itself will be great to re-use. My favorite candy flavor was Almond Green. It has a delightfully strong almond flavor and is colored a vibrant emerald green (my birthstone!) All of these caramels have decorative ridges and come in bright holiday colors. The chocolates themselves have a crisp chocolate outside with a smooth caramel inside and they melted in my mouth. In my opinion, the best chocolates are the ones that melt away. Kohler has so many great chocolates and gift boxes. I really want to try the Botanical Truffles, the Emeralds (of course), and I can’t leave out those delicious Terrapins!
Which Kohler Original Recipe Chocolates product do you want to try first? Know someone who could use this? Hit the “share” buttons below! Be sure to follow Arts & Crackers on social media (buttons at the top right of the page.) You May Also Like