Artichokes, panini sandwiches, grilled cheese…yum. What better way to enjoy some of what I love than in one delicious sandwich?! I decided to make this Artichoke and Roasted Pepper Grilled Cheese Sandwich and it is pretty simple to make.
Not only do you get a deliciously gooey cheese and crispy crust, but you also will get some tanginess from the artichokes and sweet roasted flavor of the peppers. I also made a point to add some proteins to make it a more complete meal.
- 2 slices bread (the good stuff–I used some freshly-baked sourdough bread from the bakery)
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 3 slices deli turkey
- 2 artichoke hearts, chopped (I used canned)
- 4 pieces roasted red peppers (I used canned)
1. Preheat a pan slightly on the stove. Do not preheat for long as it is not good to let it sit too much without food on it. You will need to do the following steps fairly quickly if you want your sandwich to stick together more.
2. Layer your sandwich. Begin with one piece of bread. You can butter this bread on the underside where it will touch the pan, but I just left mine plain and it worked great.
3. Next put one of the slices of provolone on the top of the bread in the pan. Slice it in half for more coverage.
4. Top with the slices of turkey. Try to keep it within the crust of the bread or your sandwich could get messy quickly.
5. Carefully pile on the artichoke. I love artichoke, so I added both artichoke hearts, but you can add only one if you wish.
6. Add on the roasted red peppers.
7. Cover with another layer of cheese, again cut in half.
8. Place the other piece of bread on the top and cook while pressing down with a spatula. This will help the cheese to melt around the ingredients so it does not fall apart as much. You will want to start by pressing lightly and slowly work towards pressing down relatively firmly.
9. When the bottom of the bread is toasted to your liking, very carefully use the spatula (with your hand or another spatula on the top side) to flip the sandwich over. Try to do this quickly and smoothly or your ingredients may fall out (one reason I suggest trying to keep everything within the crust.)
10. Press down on the sandwich with the spatula again while cooking and grill until it is to your liking.
11. Cut the sandwich in half and enjoy!
You May Also Like
- Ozeri Green Earth Pan Review
- Chicken Parm Lasagna
- Tomato and String Cheese Pasta Salad Recipe
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa Recipe
- Garden Fresh Pasta Salad Recipe
- Southern Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe
-What is your favorite way to eat grilled cheese?